- Attorney general Eric Holder said a “searing” justice department report on racial discrimination by Ferguson police contained “deeply alarming” documentation of “abusive and dangerous” behaviour.
- Holder defended a justice department decision not to bring charges against Ferguson police officer Darren Wilson in the killing last August of Michael Brown. ““I urge you to read this report in full,” he said, addressing skeptics.
- Holder said the justice department was ready “to force compliance and implement basic change” to fix routine civil liberties violations in Ferguson.
- The feds are not done with Ferguson, Holder said, calling for a “court-enforceable remedial process that includes involvement from community stakeholders as well as independent oversight.”
- The department of justice will engage not just Ferguson, but “surrounding municipalities – to reform their law enforcement practices,” Holder said.
- A justice department report exposed a pattern of racist and abusive behaviour on the part of Ferguson police and city employees.
- The report found that apart from fatal incidents such as the killing of Michael Brown, Ferguson police systematically harassed, over-ticketed, insulted, wrongfully arrested and physically abused African-American residents, with sometimes shattering implications for the lives of the abuse victims.
- The report said police dogs were only used against black people and Tasers were over-used. It published racist emails passed among city employees.
- Holder called the Ferguson police department a “collection agency” for the city instead of a law enforcement agency.
Here are some of the racist e-mails uncovered by the investigation, courtesy of AATTP:
A November 2008 email stated that President Barack Obama would not be President for very long because “what black man holds a steady job for four years.”
A March 2010 email mocked African Americans through speech and familial stereotypes, using a story involving child support. One line from the email read: “I be so glad that dis be my last child support payment! Month after month, year after year, all dose payments!”
An April 2011 email depicted President Barack Obama as a chimpanzee. A May 2011 email stated: “An African-American woman in New Orleans was admitted into the hospital for a pregnancy termination. Two weeks later she received a check for $5,000. She phoned the hospital to ask who it was from. The hospital said, ‘Crimestoppers.’”
A June 2011 email described a man seeking to obtain “welfare” for his dogs because they are “mixed in color, unemployed, lazy, can’t speak English and have no frigging clue who their Daddies are.”
An October 2011 email included a photo of a bare-chested group of dancing women, apparently in Africa, with the caption, “Michelle Obama’s High School Reunion.”
A December 2011 email included jokes that are based on offensive stereotypes about Muslims.
Yeah, no racism there.